Wednesday, 2 August 2023
The Motor Vehicle Insurance and Repair Industry (MVIRI) Code Administration Committee (CAC) has commenced its work to update and strengthen the Code in response to Dr Michael Schaper’s independent review.
Since the report was formally received in May 2023, the CAC has met to establish its priority actions in response to the 15 recommendations provided by Dr Schaper. These priorities include:
- A rewrite of the MVIRI Code of Conduct to improve readability and accessibility
- Considering options for enhancing Code governance
- Efforts towards greater promotion and education of the Code, as well as engagement with stakeholders.
Positive discussion has commenced in relation to the first two priorities, with further meetings planned to progress this significant body of work.
In December 2022, the CAC announced Dr Michael Schaper was appointed to conduct an independent review of the Motor Vehicle Insurance and Repair Industry (MVIRI) Code of Conduct and in May 2023, the CAC formally received Dr Schaper’s final report.
The report provided 15 recommendations in response to the review’s terms of reference which focused on:
- The effectiveness of dispute resolution processes under the MVIRI Code
- Awareness and accessibility of the Code
- Compliance with the Code
- Governance of the Code and the CAC
- Other issues pertinent to the effective governance and operation of the Code
A range of stakeholders were consulted in the review process, including government bodies, regulators such as Small Business Commissioners, members of the Code Administration Committee, as well as the insurance and repair industry.
Since its inception in 2006, the MVIRI Code of Conduct has undergone multiple reviews to ensure it remains fit-for-purpose, with the last review undertaken in 2017.
A copy of Dr Schaper’s report can be found on the Motor Vehicle Insurance and Repair Industry Code of Conduct website at www.abrcode.com.au/resource-centre as well as the MTAA website www.mtaa.com.au and the ICA website at www.insurancecouncil.com.au.
MVIRI Chair Stephen Jenkins
Phone: 0447 094 126