Insurance recovery process


Step 1: Make Safe

If your property has been damaged, your insurer will arrange emergency works as soon as it is safe to do so to minimise any hazards and prevent further damage. This can include removing loose debris, isolating damaged solar panels or electrical circuits and installing a roof tarp.

 Step 2: Assessing the damage

An insurance assessor (or claims adjuster) will inspect the damage to your property. An engineers inspection may also be required to determine if there is any structural damage.

 Step 3: Scope of Work (or Statement of Work)

The Scope of Work is the written report that sets out the repair/rebuild work to be performed. It’s important to read the report and let your insurer know if changes are required. A Scope of Work can be varied later if further damage is found.

 Step 4: Repair

Once your Scope of Work has been agreed, it’s time to repair or replace the damage. If your insurer is managing the repair/rebuild, they will appoint a builder, arrange the contracts and notify you of the construction schedule. Your insurer will also manage local council approvals as required.

 Step 5: Cash settlement

You may take a cash settlement to manage the repair or rebuilding work yourself. It’s important that you comply with council regulations and buildings codes, as well as using a licensed builder. If you fail to do this, your home may not be insurable in the future.

 Step 6: Feedback/ complaints

If you are unhappy with the handling of your insurance claim, you can lodge a complaint with your insurer. Your insurer has a dedicated dispute resolution process to resolve your concerns. If you need further assistance, you can contact the Australian Financial Complaints Authority on 1800 931 678.

Send this to a friend