Statement on NSW flood


News release

Sunday 21 March 2021

The Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) is closely monitoring the severe weather and flooding currently impacting large parts of NSW, particularly around the Mid-North Coast and Hawkesbury-Nepean.
Insurers have received storm-related claims over the last four days, however it is still too early to estimate the damage bill as many communities remain isolated. Insurance assessors are standing by to move into these communities once the flood waters recede.
The ICA is continuing to work with NSW Government to understand impacts on the community and ensure affected residents receive assistance.
Quote attributable to Andrew Hall, CEO, Insurance Council of Australia:
The volume and intensity of rain that has fallen in the past few days has caused damage over a huge area of NSW.
Insurers are assisting customers with their claims to help alleviate the stress and uncertainty associated with this unfolding weather event.
Insurers have placed disaster response specialists on standby to move into affected communities and assist customers with claims as soon as it is safe to do so.

Insurance and flood damage – what to do when you return to your property:

  • Safety is the priority - don’t do anything that puts anyone at risk
  • Only return to your property when emergency services give the go ahead
  • Stay away from downed power lines, poles and wires, and fallen trees
    If your home is unsafe, notify your local emergency services and check with your insurance company if you can claim temporary housing expenses
  • If water has entered the property, don't turn on your electricity until it has been inspected by an electrician
  • Contact your insurance company as soon as possible to lodge a claim and seek guidance on the claims process
  • Start the clean-up but first take pictures or videos of damage to the property and possessions as evidence for your claim
  • Keep samples of materials and fabrics to show your insurance assessor
  • Remove water damaged goods from your property that might pose a health risk, such as saturated carpets and soft furnishings
  • Make a list of each item damaged and include a detailed description, such as brand, model and serial number if possible
  • Store damaged or destroyed items somewhere safe
  • Speak to your insurer before you attempt or authorise any building work, including emergency repairs, and ask for the insurer’s permission in writing. Unauthorised work may not be covered by your policy
  • Do not throw away goods that could be salvaged or repaired
  • Check your contents policy for food spoilage cover, you may be able to make a claim due to power outage.
Send this to a friend